Flu & Pneumococcal Immunisation
Does Age Affect The Risk Of Flu?
Yes. If you are aged 65 years or over or you are at higher risk.
Who Is At Risk?
- If you are aged 65 years or over or if you are on regular inhaled steroids
- If you have a chronic respiratory disease (including asthma)
- If you have chronic heart disease
- If you have chronic renal disease
- If you are diabetic
- If you have a weak immune system
- If you live in a long-stay residential or nursing home
- If you have a chronic liver disease
- If you are a carer
- If you have a high BMI
- If you are considered 'High Risk' for Covid (a shielding patient)
- If you live with someone who is considered 'High Risk' for Covid
Please note that, if you are aged between 50 and 64 and not in a clinical at risk group, the earliest you will be offered a flu vaccination is November, providing there is sufficient vaccine. No appointments will be offered for people in this age group until then. This is to ensure that those who are most at risk are vaccinated first. If you are aged 50 to 64 and are in a clinical ‘at risk’ group which is eligible for the flu vaccination, for example you have a health condition which puts you at risk from the flu, you will be invited earlier. For our patients aged 50 to 64 NOT at risk - we are now able to book appointments for a flu vaccination. Please bear in mind we have a limited stock so will not be able to offer everyone an appointment immediately.
Do I Need To Be Protected Against Pneumococcal Infection?
Everybody aged 65 and over should now be immunised to help protect them against pneumococcal infection which can cause diseases such as pneumonia, septicaemia (blood poisoning) and meningitis. Please phone the surgery to make an appointment if the above applies to you.
When Are The Flu Clinics This Year?
Our Saturday flu clinics have finished.
If you require a flu vaccination and are in an At Risk group, please contact the surgery to arrange an appointment with one of our nurses.
Child flu vaccination clinics will be available during normal surgery working hours. Remember, school children in school years Reception to Year 7 will be offered their flu vaccination at school.